Iron Gods: Valley of the Brain Collectors
Maga, the curse of the Worldwound, & a Scrapwall survivor; magus 9
The maga, the curse of the Worldwound, & a Scrapwall survivor; magus 10
Ruby didn’t have a name until she was 10. She survived in the rusty interstices of Scrapwall, eating fungus she scraped off broken gears and drinking the water that pooled in cast-off blast shields, always keeping her tail curled up inside her ragged clothing to conceal her heritage. Then she uncovered the jar that changed her life: a glassteel vessel containing a halfling head. The head was alive, and through a vocoder in the jar’s lid, it spoke in a tinny voice. The head-in-a-jar’s name was Ethelred, and he could remember his life and adventuring career as a magus, but nothing about how he ended up as a head in a jar.
Ethelred recognized Ruby’s talent and named her for the faint red corundum scales in her skin and flakes in her hair. He trained her. As she grew, they began to suspect the Technic League was behind Ethelred’s calamity, and Ruby’s hatred of the Technic League deepened. Ethelred has encouraged Ruby to adventure, explore, and grow stronger while he remains in the care of a trusted friend at the temple of Brigh. Recently, Ruby has come under the influence of an occult force in the form of a small black dragon (well, compsognathus) that has bonded to her as a familiar. With Ethelred’s blessing, she is ready to see where the dragon leads.
CG Tiefling magus (hexcrafter, fiendflayer) 10
Init + 9; Senses – darkvision 60 ft.; Perception + 10
AC 26 (28 when protector familiar aids another), touch 16 (18), flat-footed 21 (23) (+ 4 mithral shirt, + 5 Dex, natural + 2, + 1 ring)
hp 83 (20 L1 + L2, 7 L3 + 7 L4 + 7 L5 + 7 L6 + 7 L7 + 7 L8 + 7, L9 + 7, L10 + 7 FC at each level)
Fort + 12, Ref + 11, Will + 10
Electricity resistance 5
Speed 30 ft (60 ft fly (good), 8 min/day)
Arcane pool: 8/11
• + 1 agile kukri: + 13/9 (15-20) / 1d4 + 7 + 1d6 fire
• Spellstrike (frigid touch) + 2 agile keen fire kukri: + 14 (15-20) / 1d4 + 7 + 1d6 fire + 4d6 cold + staggered 1 round no save + on crit staggered 1 minute no save)
• Spell combat (shocking grasp) + 2 agile keen fire kukri: + 14 (15-20) / 1d4 + 7 + 1d6 fire + 10d6 shocking grasp and + 14/+9 (15-20) / 1d4 + 7 + 1d6 fire
OR vs. anyone in metal armor another +3 to hit
• Short bow + 12 / 1d6
Str 10 Dex 18 (20) Con 14 Int 21 (23) Wis 10 Cha 6
Base Atk + 7; CMB + 7; CMD 22
Feats: weapon finesse, extra arcana (familiar), extra arcana (spell shield), craft wondrous item, craft magic arms and armor, intensified spell
Arcana: slumber, misfortune, flight (all hexes), gift of consumption
Traits: Against the Technic League (+2 damage vs Technic League); Lessons of Chaldira (re-roll any save 1/day)
Skills (6/level + headband (7th)): Craft (clothing) + 10; Craft (jewelry) + 10; Escape Artist + 15; Fly + 22; Knowledge (arcana) + 19 (headband); Knowledge (dungeoneering) + 13; Knowledge (the planes) + 14; Perception + 10; Spellcraft + 16; Stealth + 15; Swim + 4, Use Magic Device + 2
0 – brand, detect magic, ghost sound, mage hand, read magic
1 – grease, ill omen, long arm, shocking grasp x3,
2 – bladed dash, intensified shocking grasp x3, mirror image (x2),
3 – (slow), dispel magic, haste (x2)
4 – black tentacles,
Scrolls (retrievable with a swift action thanks to prehensile tail):
Scroll of blade tutor’s spirit x2
Scroll of grease x2
Scroll of mudball x2
Scroll of true strike x2
Scroll of longarm
Scroll of shield
Scroll of ill omen x2 (1st level)
Scroll of dispel magic (5th level)
Potion of invisibility
0 – all
1 – blade tutor’s spirit, chill touch, enlarge person, frostbite, grease, ill omen, long arm, magic weapon, shield, shocking grasp, silent image, snowball, true strike, vanish, windy escape
2 – bladed dash, defending bone, fog cloud, frigid touch, glitterdust, mirror image, web
3 – bestow curse, dispel magic, haste, stinking cloud, slow, vampiric touch
4 – black tentacles, (1 more)
(spells still not selected for 9th or one of 10th level)
• Electricity resistance 5
• Scaled skin: natural armor +1
• Prehensile tail: Many tieflings have tails, but some have long, flexible tails that can be used to carry items. While they cannot wield weapons with their tails, they can use them to retrieve small, stowed objects carried on their persons as a swift action. (A tiefling with a prehensile tail can also switch items from hand to tail, and the reverse, as a free action.)
• Darkvision 60 ft.
• Darkness 1/day, spell-like ability, CL 7th.
• Vestigial Wings Some tieflings possess a pair of undersized wings like an echo of those of their fiendish forbearer. Sometimes these wings are leathery, like those of a bat. Other times they are covered with a scattering of black, red, or violet feathers. Rare manifestations can take even more bizarre forms. These wings do not provide the lift required for actual flight, but do have enough power to aid flight attained by some other method, and grant a +4 racial bonus on Fly skill checks.
Languages: Common, Abyssal, Halfling, Infernal, Draconic, Goblin, Orc
Favored Class: Magus
Magus (hexcrafter, fiendflayer) Abilities
• Spell combat
• Magus arcana (spell shield, 1 arcane pool point, +Int shield bonus 1 round)
• Arcane pool (11)
• Hexes (slumber, flight, misfortune)
• Knowledge pool (1 arcane point to memorize any spell on the magus list)
• Improved spell combat
• Fighter training
Potion of liberating command (caster level 5th)
+ 1 agile kukri
Shortbow and 30 arrows
+ 4 mithral chain shirt
Headband of vast intelligence + 4
Belt of incredible dexterity + 2
2 pearls of power 1st level (1)
1 pearl of power 2nd level
+ 1 amulet of natural armor
+ 3 cloak of resistance
+ 1 ring of protection
Buffering cap (actually two lapis lazuli insets that spark between her horns like a Jacob’s ladder)
5 potions of cure light wounds
Ranger’s kit (a backpack, a bedroll, a belt pouch, a flint and steel, iron pot, mess kit, rope, torches (10), trail rations (5 days), and a waterskin) 9 gp
Gold: 1301 gp (+ 13, 781)
N Tiny animal
Init + 6
Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception + 7
AC 19, touch 16, flat-footed 16 (+ 2 Dex, + 5 natural, + 2 size)
hp 30 (8 HD)
Fort + 7, Ref + 4, Will + 5
Speed 40 ft., swim 20 ft.
Melee bite +7 (1d3–1 plus poison)
Space 2-1/2 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Str 8, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 9, Wis 11, Cha 5
Base Atk + 5; CMB + 2; CMD 14
Feats Improved Initiative, Bodyguard, Combat Reflexes
Skills Escape Artist + 9, Fly + 9, Perception + 7, Swim + 13, Knowledge (arcana) + 6, Knowledge (dungeoneering) + 5, Knowledge (the planes) + 4, Spellcraft + 6, Stealth + 16, Use Magic Device + 1
Speak with master
The master of a compsognathus familiar gains a + 4 bonus on Initiative checks.
Poison (Ex) Bite—injury; save Fort DC 12; frequency 1/round for 4 rounds;effect 1d2 Str; cure 1 save.
Loyal Bodyguard (Ex): A protector gains Bodyguard and Combat Reflexes as bonus feats. If the familiar is occupying its master’s square, it can use Bodyguard to aid another to improve its master’s AC even if it doesn’t threaten the attacking foe.
This ability replaces alertness and improved evasion.
Shield Master (Su): At 5th level, whenever a protector or its master takes hit point damage, as long as the protector and its master are touching, its master can choose to split the damage evenly between them as if using shield other.
This ability replaces deliver touch spells and speak with animals of its kind.